On a recent trip to the Smoky Mountains, I was lucky enough to capture this moment of two Pipevine Swallowtails sipping up a drink of Summer. Their calm beauty inspired me to try a new craft with my little lady when we got home: a mixed-media canvas that is simple, Summery, and of course, butterfly-sweet.
- Patterned paper
- Hot glue gun
- Canvas panel (like these)
- Kids craft paints
- Small craft paint brushes
- Paint a setting onto your canvas panel. Set aside to dry.
- Pick different pieces of patterned paper and cut into a few 3-inch strips. Fold strips in half crosswise.
- Draw a half-butterfly shape onto the underside of the paper so that the middle of the butterfly will be on the paper’s fold. Cut out butterfly shapes.
- Check to see if paint is dry. Once it is, take your paper butterflies and test where you might want to place them.
- Once you’re sure about placement, glue the butterflies to the canvas using the hot glue gun. Take care to only glue their centers so you can achieve a pleasing 3-D effect. (I let my little artist to all of the steps except for this one.)
- Remove any stray glue strings.
- Hang and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this simple way to craft your way into Summer!